Monday, April 24, 2006

College Days

I'd say I was going back but I've never really been in the first place. Unless volleyball and piano count. Don't ask me what I was thinking.

I went in today to take the TSI (Texas Success Initiative) placement test for our local community college and passed with no problem. Except for the math. This is a little embarrasing to admit but I have never gone through ANY algebra courses. At all. Ever. The only thing I've done is recently started reading Algebra The Easy Way with J which has introduced me to a few of the concepts, and even then mostly the storyline and not the descriptions as those get too involved at this point for little man. I aced the writing and reading part. Hahaha the secret power of blogging. Actually, I love that area. I'm good at it and I know it. I can edit til' my face turns blue and still enjoy it. Writing? I'm good at but the problem is I can edit until my face turns blue. I have to wait on the score for the essay so we'll see what that says.

After testing I met with my advisor. She was surprised how well I did on the math portion considering what I told her about my math history. She said I had a natural bent. Who would've thunk? I didn't even tell her we're just up to chapter 3. She advised taking two courses, along with my 20-30 hours a week job of homeschooling and parenting and relationship with my hubby. It was nice she understood all these things. I won't be able to take the 16 week course and she still recommended two courses for the 12 week course. She said given that she's known me all of five minutes from what she saw that I appear capable, motivated, and bright. She thinks I'll be able to handle it, get off to a good start and want to continue on. Sounds like a plan to me.

The college process has been really exciting, intimidating and overwhelming for me all at once - I ended up in tears when I was there last week. That's a long story though. Any way the first steps are done now and I'm getting really excited about that and this possibility. I'm inclined towards getting an Associate of Arts, in teaching if I wanted to narrow it down more. I've wanted to do since I was little but at this point though itt doesn't sound very exciting and I'm thinking I'll concentrate my courses elsewhere. If I ended up teaching I'd prefer a private school any way and at this point not a whole lot of them require a teaching major. Any ideas on what else would be intriguing? Based on your thorough analysis of all my postings of course haha : ) .

I won't be registering til' the fall so I don't have to pay out-of-state fees as I'll be a legal resident then. Given that I have lots of time to sit back. Read some more. And figure out what other course I'm going to take besides math. Psychology looks interesting.

Now I'm off to be a more attentive audience for J's and S's 'plays' they're coming up with.

0 Comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...